Tom Peeters is an experienced and specialized real estate attorney-at-law and head of our Aruba and Bonaire offices. He advises on real estate projects, including the development of power plants, the construction of petrochemical facilities, water management projects, area development projects, and sustainable wind and solar energy projects.
Tom also assists candidates and contracting authorities in organizing and participating in (public) procurement and bidding procedures. In addition, he regularly litigates in construction law cases and in disputes on spatial planning and the environment. Tom is a targeted litigator, who often also acts in appeal cases. He also concluded his studies as a cassation lawyer.
Tom started at VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne in 2013, and he previously worked at international law firms and he used to be director of a legal consultancy firm. In that role, he was involved in various real estate projects in the Netherlands, but also in Curacao and the BES islands (Caribbean Netherlands), in an early stage. Tom regularly publishes about, inter alia, project development, sustainability projects, cooperatives and procurement. He teaches on various legal topics, he conducted research on, inter alia, participation models for sustainable projects and permit strategies for real estate projects, and he has developed several innovative legal products, including new procurement methods. He also advises on the execution and application of the international FIDIC contracts and is experienced in participating in DAB-dispute adjudication boards.
Tom works on various real estate projects across the Caribbean. He is also a member of the Dutch Bar Association, the Dutch Association for Procurement Law and the Dutch Construction Lawyers Association.
- Supervisory board member of Maduro & Curiel’s Bank (Bonaire) N.V.
- Board member of Bonaire’s tourism association BONHATA
- Supervisory Board member Stichting Recompressietank Bonaire (‘Foundation Recompression Chamber Bonaire’)
- Legal secretary on call Netherlands Arbitration Institute
- Assisting (U)SONA, commissioned by the Curacao government, in all legal aspects (procurement, contracting, permits and financing) regarding the construction of the new Hospital Nobo Otrabanda in Curacao
- Assisting Bonaire’s housing association in the organization of bidding procedures and the preparation of contracts and also the realization of real estate projects.
- Assisting Mota-Engil in the bidding procedure for the USD 100 mln PPP project for the development of the Watty Vos Boulevard on Aruba. The project comprises the design, construction, financing and maintenance of the 7-kilometer boulevard.
- Assisting petrochemical corporations and airports on the BES islands regarding (environmental) permits.
- Assisting the Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment in the renovation and procurement process of the Afsluitdijk in the Netherlands.
- Assisting Water and Electricity Corporation Bonaire in the realization and procurement of the community solar project on Bonaire.
- Advising wind park operators in the realization of a wind energy park on Curacao, in the Netherlands and at sea in the Netherlands.