Tjarda Tazelaar is an expert in corporate law. He specializes in mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures and restructurings.
Tjarda is the head of our M&A team and advises corporations, financial institutions and investors in a variety of market sectors on domestic and cross-border transactions and restructurings. He also has extensive expertise in commercial contracting, supervising financing transactions, corporate governance, and management participations. Foreign investors regularly ask Tjarda to advise them on investing into or doing business on the Dutch Caribbean islands. He has unique experience with privatizations in both Curacao and St. Maarten.
Before Tjarda joined VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne in 2018, he worked for nine years as an M&A lawyer at Amsterdam based law firm Van Doorne, an internationally recognized leading Dutch law firm. With his broad transactional experience and in-depth knowledge and understanding of the local markets, Tjarda provides the quality and expertise required for complex corporate transactions involving our jurisdictions. He is highly appreciated by clients for his responsiveness and his pragmatic and business-minded approach.
Tjarda studied Dutch law at Utrecht University, majoring in corporate law. In 2015 he successfully completed the post-graduate specialist course ‘Mergers & Acquisitions: law, finance and skills’ at the VU Law Academy of the VU University in Amsterdam. He is qualified as a lawyer both in the Dutch Caribbean and the Netherlands.
Additional positions and memberships
Tjarda is member of the board of Curaçao International Financial Services Association (CIFA).
- Advising Cable & Wireless and Liberty Latin America on the acquisition of all shares in United Telecommunications Services N.V. (UTS) from the country of Curacao and the country of St. Maarten.
- Advising Hong Kong based Henderson Land Development Company on its equity investment in medical device corporation Impulse Dynamics.
- Advising Execujet Aviation Group on its acquisition of St. Maarten based fixed-base operator (FBO) TLC Aviation Corporation.
- Advising insurance corporation Fatum Holding on obtaining a USD 50 mln. loan facility arranged by MCB Curacao.
Recent transaction experience in the Netherlands
- Advising Deutsche Private Equity on its divestment of the Westfalia Automotive and Terwa group and on its acquisition of international roofing corporation Erdo.
- Advising Marquard & Bahls subsidiaries Oiltanking and Bomin on several acquisitions and joint ventures in the field of tank storage logistics and bunkering.
- Advising US based pharmaceutical corporation Charles River Laboratories on several strategic acquisitions, including Brains On-Line and the CRO services division of Galapagos NV.
- Advising mobile parking service provider Yellowbrick on its joint venture with French urban mobility service provider Parkeon