Thies studied law at the Maastricht University and obtained his master’s degree at the University of Westminster in London. He started his career as an attorney-at-law in the Netherlands and also worked for a law firm on St. Maarten. In 2011, he switched to VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne.
Thies regularly speaks at meetings and events on various topics within the field of administrative law, employment law and real estate law. Furthermore, Thies is a lecturer in employment law and administrative law at Training Institute Bonaire.
- Dean of the Bonaire Bar Association
- Member of the Junior Bar Association
- Member of the Antillean Jurist Association
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the BES islands
- Assisting Bonaire’s housing association in the organization of bid procedures the preparation of contracts.
- Representing NuStar Energy in proceedings against St. Eustatius Monument Foundation regarding an oil terminal on St. Eustatius.
- Representing Curacao Customs in administrative law proceedings regarding the confiscation of Venezuelan vessels used for trade in Curacao.