Sophie assisted the Island Territory of Bonaire on adjusting, supplementing or converting all local legislation due to the constitutional changes in 2010. Furthermore, she assists clients in the field of Hospitality & Leisure, such as hotels and hotel chains. Before she joined VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne, Sophie worked as a general manager of a hotel in Saba for two years. Based on this experience she understands the challenges that entrepreneurs in this sector are confronted with. She advises them on employee and real estate issues. Also in this sector Sophie assists in legislative processes, such as the new legislation for all-inclusive accommodation on Aruba that will come into effect in 2016.
Sophie obtained a masters degree in private law at the University of Tilburg in 2005. Before she moved to the Dutch Caribbean, she worked as a clerk at the court in Dordrecht. From 2013 to 2016 Sophie was Secretary of the Bonaire Bar Association.
Additional positions and memberships
- Member of the Committee for Funded Legal Aid, appointed by the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations
- External advisor of ECHO, a foundation that focuses on the conservation of the endangered lora, the yellow-shouldered Amazon Parrot of Bonaire
- Representing clients in proceedings concerning the raise of the ground rent, with the result that the raise had to be reversed by the local government in 600 individual cases.
- Representing the central Kingdom government in various public service proceedings.
- Assisting Water- and Electricity Company Bonaire in various employment matters.
- Assisting the Minister of Tourism in Aruba with the introduction of a new national ordinance that contains a special licensing system for all-inclusive accommodations.