Sophie van Lint specializes in employment and public service law, the law of obligations and real estate. She mainly advises and assists governmental bodies and clients in the public sector, for instance in the area of legislative processes.
Sophie assisted the Island Territory of Bonaire on adjusting, supplementing and converting all local legislation due to the constitutional changes in 2010. Furthermore, she assists clients in the tourist industry, e.g. hotels and hotel chains. Before she joined VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne, Sophie had worked as the general manager of a hotel on Saba for two years and she is familiar with the challenges that entrepreneurs in this sector are confronted with. She advises them on, for instance, employee and real estate issues. In this sector she also assists in legislative processes, including the new legislation for all-inclusive accommodations on Aruba that will take effect in 2016.
Sophie obtained a master’s degree in private law at the University of Tilburg in 2005. Before she moved to the Dutch Caribbean in 2008, she worked as a clerk at the District Court in Dordrecht. From 2013 to 2016 Sophie was Secretary of the Bonaire Bar Association.
- Member of the Committee for Funded Legal Aid, appointed by the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations
- External advisor of ECHO, a foundation that focuses on the conservation of the endangered lora, the yellow-shouldered Amazon Parrot of Bonaire
- Representing clients in proceedings concerning an increase of the ground rent, with the result that the increase had to be reversed by the local government in 600 individual cases.
- Representing the central Kingdom government in various public service proceedings.
- Assisting Water- and Electricity Corporation Bonaire in various employment matters.
- Assisting the Minister of Tourism on Aruba in the introduction of a new national ordinance that contains a special licensing system for all-inclusive accommodations.