Apart from an attorney-at-law, Frank is an experienced director and supervisory director. He held positions at several businesses and organizations, including the Deutsche Bank Finance, Integrated Utility Holding N.V. and the Public Sector Accountants Bureau Foundation. As a result, he is able to scale back complex legal issues to practical solutions for executive boards and board members. Furthermore, Frank is also a certified supervisory director in the Netherlands.
In addition, Frank is a (part-time) professor in civil law and corporate governance at the University of Curacao (UoC). Previously, he was a senior lecturer at the University of Amsterdam and dean of the Law Faculty of the UoC. He was also Vice-President of the Advisory Council, the highest advisory body of Curacao. Frank is one of the founding fathers of the Themis Institute for Governance and Leadership.
Frank regularly provides courses and speeches on corporate governance. He is the author of several books and many publications on civil law topics and legal methodology. He writes a biweekly column on corporate governance in the local newspapers Antilliaans Dagblad (Antillian Daily) and Extra.
Frank has been a partner with VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne since 1999. He has been a managing partner of the firm for fifteen years.
Chambers Global 2019 (Band 1 ranking): “Veteran lawyer Frank Kunneman is a “very knowledgeable” individual with a wealth of experience in litigation and corporate governance. He continues to be much sought after and holds positions on a number of company boards as well as being a part-time professor at the University of Curaçao.”
Additional positions and memberships
- Supervisory director at Maduro & Curiel’s Bank N.V.
- Professor civil law and corporate governance at the University of Curaçao (UoC)
- Assisting (U)SONA, commissioned by the Curaçao government, in all legal aspects (procurement, contracting, permits and financing) regarding the construction of the new Hospital Nobo Otrabanda in Curaçao.
- Assisting BHM, the holding company of the public legal entities of the OLB (the former Island Territory of Bonaire) in structuring and regulating its corporate governance.
- Representing state-owned telecom provider UTS in a dispute with the Curaçao Court of Audit (Algemene Rekenkamer Curaçao or ARC), who had been instructed by the Parliament to audit the regulatory and efficiency of policies at the company.
- Representing the Supervisory Board of an oil distribution company in a dispute with its managing director.