Aubrich Bakhuis joined VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne in July 2015. He works at the Corporate & Banking section of our firm.
Aubrich is an innovative attorney-at-law with a passion for both the commercial and the scientific aspects of the law. After having gained experience as a legal counsel, he became a Ph.D. candidate in Caribbean constitutional and administrative law at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam. Aubrich publishes regularly in the Dutch and Caribbean Law Journal. Furthermore, he performed consultancy assignments for the House of Representatives in the Netherlands and the Parliament of Curacao and Aruba.
Aubrich is a frequent guest speaker at symposiums. He was, for instance, a guest speaker at the symposium to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and a guest lecturer together with, among others, the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations, Ronald Plasterk.
- Advising Cable & Wireless and Liberty Latin America on the acquisition of all shares held in United Telecommunications Services N.V. (UTS) by the country of Curaçao
- Assisting United Telecommunication Services N.V. in a regulatory dispute against the General Audit Chamber Curaçao and the Government of Curaçao;
- Assisting a domestic and an international bank in financial supervision disputes with the Central Bank of Curaçao and Sint Maarten;
- Drafting the revision of the National Ordinance Corporate Governance Curaçao;
- Drafting a National Decree with general measures (Lbham) for harbor related licenses in Curaçao;
- Reviewing and drafting regulatory legislation for the Ministry of Economic Affairs;
- Restructuring of the governance of a government owned private entity;
- Corporate governance advice as Special Council Corporate Governance;
- Lecturer at the University of Curaçao (Corporate Governance)
Additional positions and memberships
- Member multidisciplinary project team for a sustainable and modern Curaçao Refinery