C.G.K. (Kamla) Besançon
Tel: +1 721 542 2902
Cell: +1 721 588 4171
Fax: +1 721 542 2907
Speaks: Dutch, English, Papiamentu, Spanish, French
Main office: St. Maarten
Education: University Leiden
C.G.K. (Kamla) BesançonBiography
Kamla Besançon has a broad corporate and securities practice with a specific focus on public and cross-border M&A, joint ventures, securities-, corporate governance- and (corporate) shareholders and board room advice.
Prior to joining VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne Kamla worked at Houthoff Buruma (Amsterdam, 2006 – 2012) where she advised (listed) companies on (cross-border) M&A, securities, regulatory and corporate governance related matters. She also advised shareholders and management and supervisory boards on a variety of corporate matters.
Before joining Houthoff Buruma Kamla worked at Lexwell (St. Maarten, 2002 – 2004), where she assisted in the (re)structuring and execution of numerous local investment and finance projects (such as the airport and harbour expansion projects, various investments of the local utility company) and the (re)structuring and reorganization of various corporate clients. She was general counsel and litigator for, amongst others, the aforementioned companies, local banks and insurance companies.
Kamla started her career in Curacao and St. Maarten at Law-office Moenir-alam (1997 – 2002) as trial attorney (first and second litigator) in criminal and civil law cases (with a focus on labour-, insurance- and family law).
Kamla graduated from Leiden University in 1997 and obtained her LL.M. degree from Columbia University (New York) in 2005. In addition to her local bar admission, Kamla is admitted to the Amsterdam and New York Bars.
- The International Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- The New York Bar Association
- The International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- The Dutch Bar Association
- Fondo de Valores Inmobiliarios - the project developer of Blue Mall in St. Maarten - as their legal advisor in relation to corporate issues, real estate and employment
- Beijing Hainachuan Automotive Parts Co., Ltd. on the acquisition of Inalfa Roof Systems Group from AAC Capital Partners.
- China Huaneng Group, the largest power generation company in China, on its $ 1.23 billion acquisition of 50% of InterGen N.V. from GMR.
- Portugal Telecom on its € 7.5 billion sale of a 50% interest in BrasilCel N.V. to Téléfonica.
- Atlas Industries on the acquisition of the global media and entertainment packaging business of MeadWestvaco Corp.
- Tele Atlas on the $2.8 billion cash offer made for its entire share capital by TomTom, the listed Dutch navigation equipment provider;
- Arcelor, as Dutch counsel, on its $33.8 billion merger with Mittal Steel Company N.V.;
- Fortis Bank (Nederland) N.V. on the offering of ordinary shares by Accsys Technologies Plc and certain selling shareholders and the listing of its ordinary shares on Euronext Amsterdam;
- Doughty Hanson on its acquisition of TMF and its acquisition of Equity Trust from Candover and an institutional shareholder.
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne assists GEBE with the division of the Company
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne appoints Kamla Besançon as partner
- Kamla Besancon explains share transfer GEBE to employees in General Assembly
- Fatum to take over Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Antilles (RSA)
- Kamla Besançon, back to her roots