The Dutch Caribbean has always played a significant role in international trade. The islands’ favorable geographic locations and reliable services in the ports of Curacao, Aruba, St. Maarten and St. Eustatius attract a large number of vessels annually. The presence of the oil refinery and ship repair yard in Curacao, the oil storage and bunker station in St. Eustatius and cruise tourism in Aruba and St. Maarten account for a steady number of vessels each year.
The activities in our ports include container transshipments, ship repairs, bunkering, cruise tourism and marine (underwater) surveys. Furthermore, Curacao is known for its ship register. The flexible fiscal regime, reliable legal infrastructure and the presence of specialized service providers make Curacao, St. Maarten and the BES-islands an attractive alternative for registration of vessels.
Our clients can rely on our vast experience in all legal aspects of the shipping industry, such as disputes related to chartering, cargo claims, collision, general average as well as ship financing, employment, ship repair, ship registration, drafting general terms and conditions, international debt collection and ship arrest and auctions.
We assist many players in this industry, such as ship owners, shipyards, agents, insurance companies, brokers, mortgagees, cargo owners. Our specialized team consists of two senior associates who are recognized as regional leading maritime lawyers.Recently we have assisted:
- Curacao based branch of French multinational cargo company in negotiations on collective labor agreements
- Dutch towage company on restructuring, reorganization and redundancy of personnel
- Litigation on behalf of a ship owner in relation to attempted 'piercing the corporate veil'
- Mortgagees in arrest of vessels and bunkers in Sint Eustatius, Bonaire, Aruba, Sint Maarten, Curacao
- Mortgagees in ship auctions in Aruba and Curacao on behalf of mortgagees
- Several claimants relating to arrests of vessels located within the territorial waters of Aruba and the other islands of the former Netherlands Antilles
- The mortgagee in connection with the arrest of a roll on/ roll off vessel in St. Maarten and subsequent negotiations with parties regarding the private sale of the vessel
- The mortgagee in the enforced sale in Aruba of the MV DS Performer, an oil tanker with a GT of 61.764
- The mortgagee in the enforced sale in Aruba of three sister vessels; MV JUMMETOR, MV HILDE K. and MV EMSTOR. All three were successfully sold through auction.
- The mortgagee in the private sale in Curacao of a Crude Oil Tanker with a GT of 39.036
- Underwriters and a bunker terminal in proceedings related to collision of vessels
- Various clients in drafting/negotiating terms of contracts and general terms and conditions
- Successful judicial sale vessels on Aruba
- Tramp owners face ship arrests in third party payment disputes
- Enforced sale of the MV DS PERFORMER in Aruba