CorporateThe legal structure of an organization serves a purpose. How is your organization structured? And what are the drivers that organize it in this way – or should it be organized differently and be restructured? Acquisitions, globalization, privatization, liberalization and rules of good governance and compliance often drive entrepreneurs and non-commercial organizations into the arena of corporate law (i.e. Book 2 of our Civil Code).
But what are the consequences for your strategic policy? How can you continue to build on your success?
The majority of large companies in the Dutch Caribbean region conduct business at an international level. In addition, many offshore companies are based in this region and are regularly involved in international acquisitions and restructuring. Finally, a substantial number of smaller companies are domiciled in this region, conducting business at a regional or local level only.
Depending on the client, we help in drafting and implementing effective strategies to build our clients’ businesses. As a result, VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne regularly assists in:
- Acquisitions, for example by means of controlled auctions;
- Privatization of public companies – demanding specific knowledge of administrative law, for example, but equally important, also requiring political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact;
- Corporate governance issues, especially following the introduction of new laws regarding legal entities, has meant the implementation of stricter liabilities for company directors, officers and supervisors and as a result this specialty has increased notably. We advise management boards and supervisory bodies of most of the large companies and (governmental) institutions in the region on a regular basis;
- Litigious corporate work.
In such cases, the role of VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne includes providing the principals with information on the laws and regulations of Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and the BES islands (Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba) and advising on and drafting of the required contract documentation. For the local work in Surinam, especially in this industry, we work closely with a reputable local firm.
When assisting companies directly, our work ranges from drafting letters of intent and takeover contracts, to final negotiations on the terms of the takeover. In most cases, an important part of the process is the so-called due diligence investigations.
When acting for an intended buyer, we collect information on the company to be acquired, enabling the client to arrive at an informed opinion of the legal status and the risks of the potential purchase.
When our client is the seller, it is important to organize the due diligence investigation in such a way that it interferes as little as possible with normal business operations. We also ensure that the seller discloses all information essential for the transaction.
VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne clearly has the experience, know-how and skills to satisfy the high level of requirements that corporate advice in general demands. With in-depth industry expertise and an outstanding regional and international reputation, our Corporate team leads the pack. In the 2011 edition of Practical Law Company’s PLC’s Mergers and Acquisitions, VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne is the undisputed market leader in the region while, with three recommended partners in this field – by far the most of any firm in the Dutch Caribbean – we feel confident in stating that we are the best firm to assist you.
- A branch of a major Dutch insurer in a sale and subsequent transition to independent operation
- ABN AMRO Bank and ABN AMRO Trust in the sale of the Curacao branches
- Alternative energy resources players on legal structures
- An international trust and management company in acquiring a Curacao trust company
- Bear Stearns' acquisition of the finance entities of Wells Fargo in the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba
- Cinemark regarding all the aspects of the opening of the new movie theatre at Sambil; from establishing the corporate structure to the registration of the Cinemark trademark
- Columbus Networks in the acquisition of a local legal entity, including the license for a television broadcasting station pursuant to which offering of internet, telephone and television will be possible
- Ctex in the legal structuring of the company and its equity capitalization for building a datacenter in Curacao
- Digicel, a mobile telephone provider, in the take-over of Curacao Telecom, the largest private mobile telephone provider on Curacao
- Dutch building conglomerate in the purchase of an Aruban and Antillean construction company
- Fondo de Valores Inmobiliarios - the project developer of Blue Mall in St. Maarten - as their legal advisor in relation to corporate issues, real estate and employment
- Pharmaceutical Industries Limited in relation to its US $5 billion offering of three, five and ten-year bonds, through among others 2 Curacao subsidiaries
- Refineria di Korsou (Curacao Oil Refinery) as part of a government appointed working group that advises on the ‘Future of the Refinery’ program in Curacao
- The purchaser in the acquisition of a hotel on Curacao
- The purchaser in the USD 230 million acquisition of the Aruba Wyndham Hotel
- The purchaser in the USD 237 million acquisition of the Marriott Hotel on Aruba
- Various clients in corporate related matters (including (re)structuring of corporate entities, shareholder disputes and finance/banking related matters)
- Various Curacao hotel property owners in the sale of their hotels
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne assists Aruba Growth Fund and Curacao Growth Fund
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne assists Aruba Growth Fund in summary proceedings regarding sale Radisson
- Rogier van den Heuvel successfully represents Curacao Airport Partners in appeal against car rental companies
- Mayesi Hammoud successfully represents Aqualectra in summary proceedings against WTC Curacao
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne advises on regulatory aspects regarding acquisition Columbus by CWC
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne advises Cinemark regarding opening new movie theatre in Sambil
- Corporate team VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne assists Gedeon Richter with acquisition Mediplus
- Article: The Curacao transparent company. A civil and fiscal analysis
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne advises in the acquisition of ANT Trust by SGG
- First stone Ctex complex has been laid