Energy & Natural Resources
Companies active in the energy and natural resources industries are constantly facing environmental challenges, a changing regulatory framework and a worldwide demand for sustainable energy. Companies are being transformed and are facing strategic problems. (Former) utility companies are often dealing with parallel issues.
In the Caribbean and Surinam, we assist major players in the field of traditional and sustainable energy and other natural resources such as water, mining and lumber. Many state-owned enterprises are long-standing clients.
Our specialized lawyers provide assistance on the complex matters that characterize this sector. For instance, we are involved with energy contracts, strategic forms of cooperation, dispute resolution, ‘power asset’-transactions, financing, environmental law and public sector issues. Furthermore, we are involved in drafting legislation.
Electricity and drinking water Act BES
For instance, in Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba, new legislation is currently being developed in order to regulate the production and distribution of electricity and drinking water. On 1 November, the consultation phase in this regard was closed, and VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne has contributed with a reaction to the draft act.
This consultation reaction is public and can be downloaded here (in Dutch). The draft act and explanatory memorandum can be found here (English versions at the bottom of the page).
- A state owned utility company against Island Government of Curacao in relation to tariffs of electricity and water
- A state owned utility company on collective labor agreements
- AIB Bank and other lenders in 227 million florins financing of utility company W.E.B. Aruba
- Alternative energy resources players on legal structures
- An energy company in proceedings against its former managing director
- Aqualectra, the Curacao based power company, on a Power Purchase Agreement with NuCapital to expand windmill parks on Curacao
- Curacao Oil Refinery in litigation in relation to strike of personnel
- Environmental Permits for petrochemical industry on the BES islands
- Island Government of Curacao in negotiations with PDVSA, the Venezuelan state oil company, about the future of the Curacao refinery
- National Investment Bank in a loan for utility company Elmar in Aruba
- NuStar Energy in a procedure against St.Eustatius Monument Foundation regarding an oil terminal on St.Eustatius
- Realization and procurement of Bonaire’s community solar project
- Realization of wind energy park in the Netherlands
- Refineria di Korsou (Curacao Oil Refinery) as part of a government appointed working group that advises on the ‘Future of the Refinery’ program in Curacao
- State energy facility on Curacao in re-financing of its loans
- Supervisory Board of an oil distribution company in a dispute with its managing director
- Utility company WEB in a dispute regarding reconnecting electricity on Bonaire
- Utility company WEB on a power purchase with Ecopower to deliver wind energy on Bonaire
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne assists GEBE with the division of the Company
- VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne legal advisor regarding the future of Curacao’s refinery
- Cooperation between WEB and OLB
- Oil and gas extraction in Curacao #3: The draft Petroleum National Ordinance explained
- Oil and gas extraction in Curaçao #2: Background and historical development Part II
- Oil and gas extraction in Curaçao #1: Background and historical development Part I
- Repsol of Spain and CAP NV sign landmark offshore energy exploration and development agreement
- Judge dismisses all claims against OLB
- PPP Tendering for a Solar Park in Aruba
- Norwin Willem still has to pay fuel clause on Bonaire